This year, AAA projects 43.4 million Americans will journey 50 miles or more from home this Thanksgiving weekend. Even more people will travel across the globe to be with their families during the holiday season.
Upon this journey, travelers will face bad weather, illnesses, or accidents that could cause them to miss connections, cancel trips, return home or even be forced to seek emergency medical treatment while travelling.
Now may be a good time to ensure your insurance plan provides ample coverage as you and your family embarks on your holiday travels. If not, consider the following tips towards having a safe and happy holiday season.
Purchase Travel Insurance
- Check your homeowner’s or medical insurance policies to avoid any overlap. Your medical insurance may already provide the coverage.
- Purchase travel insurance that covers more than what you think is likely to go wrong.
Types of Travel Insurance
- Trip Cancellation/Interruption (TCI) – TCI will cover all emergency changes to your travel plans. However, reimbursements are limited to the insurers list of coverage such as, injury, sickness, or death to the individual and his or hers dependents.
- Emergency Medical Evacuation – For the adventurer or philanthropist traveling to exotic and extreme conditions, emergency medical evacuation provides coverage for treatment that may be unavailable in these parts of the world and provide travel arrangements to the nearest medical facility.
- Baggage Loss – Baggage Loss coverage will come in handy to many travelling throughout the busier airports this holiday season. With the chaos of mass traffic moving through each, expect the worst when it comes to your baggage. This coverage may reimburse you for any or all of your lost items, but be sure to keep a list of what you packed.
Know Your Coverage
- Carry all copies of insurance documentation and policy plans just incase there is ever any dispute as to what benefits you are entitled too in your coverage.
- Be familiar with all limits on your coverage.
- Carry all forms of identification and insurance cards; including pharmacy benefits card and 24/7 emergency assistance contact information.
- Look out for the PayFuseNet logo to ensure you have access to a network of over 50,000 physicians and pharmacies worldwide with the largest guaranteed savings on in-network treatment.
Make All Necessary Arrangements for Pre-Existing Conditions
- Declare all pre-existing medical conditions with all travel services and make any necessary arrangements for special assistance prior to travelling.
- Ensure these arrangements are covered in your current insurance policy or supplemental travel insurance coverage.
- Know Your Providers
- Upon arrival at your holiday destination, utilize the PayerFusion Provider Search to identify your nearest medical providers.
- The PayerFusion Provider Search displays each provider’s address, contact info and maps the quickest directions to their facility.
Utilize Financial Protection Services
- Many credit cards offer insurance and protection against fraudulent charges. Airports are a key location for identity thieves to get hold of your information.
- If credit card protection is not available, seek more information from your bank about any travel insurance options they may offer.
Finally, enjoy the holidays knowing you and your family are safely and adequately covered on your travels.
Share the above information with all your travelling business partners, friends and family by downloading the following infographic here.
From all of us here at PayerFusion Holdings, LLC. we'd like to wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving!